Bean Hollow State Beach, Pebble Beach
Bean Hollow State Beach includes two sheltered coves, separated by a rocky point. The beach is frequented by dog owners, as one of the few local state beaches that allows dogs. Dogs are permitted provided they are controlled with a leash of no more than six feet at all times.
The one mile walk between Bean Hollow Beach and Pebble Beach offers a close-up look at tide pools, wild flowers, and colonies of harbor seals and shorebirds. The trail is one of the best places along the San Mateo coast to see a largely undisturbed landscape of native coastal plants.
The beach, originally known as Arroyo de Los Frijoles, marked the southern extent of Rancho Butano, which was granted in 1838 to Ramona Sanchez.
Pebble Beach is a part of Bean Hollow State Beach, but is located one mile north of Bean Hollow on Highway 1. It features two main sections: Straight ahead off the parking lot are outcrops of Pigeon Point Formation sandstone. The surface of many of the rocks has been weathered in a honeycomb-like surface texture—known as tafoni: this area leads to extensive tide pools. To the right of the parking lot is the beach of pebbles that give the site its name. The beach has deposits of varicolored, water-worn pebbles several feet deep, including agate, chalcedony, jasper, moonstones, and sardonyx.
Dogs are permitted provided they are controlled with a leash of no more than six feet at all times.
Pebble Beach was a part of Rancho Butano, given to Ramona Sanchez on in 1838. Manuel Rodriguez received the United States patent for it in 1866. The rancho was later purchased by Clark & Coburn of San Francisco.
Loren Coburn was born in Vermont and moved to California in 1851. He worked first in mining and then as a businessman in San Francisco. He moved to the Pescadero area in 1872 and entered into land development. Coburn erected a large hotel on the bluff above Pebble Beach in the 1890s, hoping to make it a popular destination for vacationers taking the planned Ocean Shore Railroad from San Francisco. The San Francisco earthquake in 1906 ended construction on the railroad, and the hotel permanently closed.