San Gregorio State Beach
San Gregorio State Beach has some rather steep and very high (60 m., 190 ft.) coastal bluffs and cliffs bordering the ocean. The area includes a protected, driftwood-strewn estuary at the back of a wide, sandy beach, with grassy bluffs along the coast. The estuary is home to many birds and small animals.
Except for the wide area at the mouth of San Gregorio Creek, the beach tends to be quite narrow; in some places during the winter, it is entirely inundated at high tide. In the summer, a sandy beach stretches from San Gregorio to Pomponio State Beach.
Dogs are prohibited on the beach but are allowed on leash on the trails and in the parking and picnic areas.
California Historical Landmark 26 commemorates the passage of Spanish Explorer Captain Gaspar de Portolá through this area in October 1769. Rancho San Gregorio, consisting of 17,752 acres, was granted to Antonio Buelna in 1839. The rancho extended from Tunitas Creek in the north to the mouth of Pomponio Creek and encompassed the whole of the lower San Gregorio watershed.